Advertisement

Touching the Earth Practice | Recognizing Feelings and Emotions

Touching the Earth Practice | Recognizing Feelings and Emotions Streamed live on 6 May 2020 from New Hamlet, Plum Village, France

Please click here for guidance on Touching the Earth:


Guided Text

13. Recognizing Feelings and Emotions



Lord Buddha, thanks to practicing mindful breathing and walking, I am aware of what is happening around me. I can recognize different mental formations as they arise. I know that the wounds of my ancestors and my parents, as well as wounds from my childhood until now, still lie deep in my consciousness. Sometimes painful feelings associated with sadness rise up in me and if I do not know how to recognize, embrace, and help them to calm down, I can say things and do things that cause division or a split in my family or my community. When I cause division around me I also feel divided in myself.

Lord Buddha, I am determined to remember your teachings, to practice mindful breathing and walking and produce more positive energy in my daily life. I can use this energy to recognize the painful feelings in me and help them to calm down. I know that suppressing these feelings and emotions when they come up will only make the situation more difficult.


Lord Buddha, thanks to your teachings, I know that these feelings and emotions for the most part arise from narrow perceptions and incomplete understanding. I have wrong ideas about myself and other people. I have ideas about happiness and suffering that I cannot let go of. I have already made myself suffer a great deal because of my ideas. For example, I have the idea that happiness and suffering come from outside of myself and are not due to my own mind. My ways of looking, listening, understanding, and judging have made me suffer and have made my loved ones suffer. I know that by letting go of these ideas I will be happier and more peaceful in my body and mind. By letting go of my narrow ideas and wrong perceptions, my painful feelings and emotions will no longer have a basis to arise.

Lord Buddha, I know that I still have so many wrong perceptions that prevent me from seeing things as they really are. I promise that from now on I shall practice looking deeply to see that the majority of my suffering arises from my ideas and perceptions. I shall not blame others when I suffer, but shall return to myself and recognize the source of my suffering in my misperceptions and my lack of deep understanding. I shall practice looking deeply, letting go of wrong perceptions, and helping other people let go of their wrong perceptions so that they can also overcome their suffering.


for further reading:


You can support us by:
- donating:

Help us caption & translate this video!


Plum Village,Thich Nhat Hanh,mindfulness,zen,

Post a Comment

0 Comments